Sri Lanka said on Thursday it would take as long as five years to try people accused of carrying out atrocities at the end of its three-decade civil war, as part of a national action plan that was quickly derided by opposition critics.
The government has faced international condemnation over its civil rights record, particularly over its final military campaign against separatist Tamil Tigers that the United Nations said killed tens of thousands of civilians in 2009.
President Mahinda Rajapaksa's government has rejected U.N. calls for an international investigation into the reported atrocities and appointed a Sri Lankan commission a year after the end of the conflict to run its own probe.
The government had already said it would follow the recommendations by the Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC). On Thursday it released a timetable laying out when it would put the recommendations into effect.
First on the list was a plan giving military authorities a year to complete investigations into reports of the killings of civilians. That was followed by another two years to draw up prosecutions and another two years to take them through the court system.