Human Rights Watch is calling on Guinea's government to help bring justice to victims of a 2009 massacre of pro-democracy demonstrators.
The U.S.-based rights group said Thursday that the Guinean government should increase support for the panel of judges charged with investigating the crimes.
Elise Keppler, a senior international justice counsel with HRW, said the government's failure to hold human rights violators accountable for decades of repressive rule is fueling further abuses in the country.
More than 150 people were killed on September 28, 2009 when government forces opened fire on protesters during a demonstration against the country's then military regime. At least 100 women reportedly were raped during the incident.
HRW says the panel has so far filed charges against seven people, including the country's former health minister, Colonel Abdoulaye Cherif Diaby, and the minister in charge of fighting drug trafficking and organized crime, Moussa Tiegboro Camara.
Guinean authorities have not commented on the report.